You can't go wrong with this pork ribs recipe from Jamie Oliver. We sometimes cheat and just do the last bit under the oven grill rather than using the barbecue.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- olive oil
- 2 racks of spare ribs (about 1.2kg)
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 150 ml unsweetened apple juice
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 2 heaped tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 100 ml low-salt soy sauce
- 100 g soft brown sugar
The Oven bit
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- Drizzle a little oil over the ribs, season with sea salt and black pepper and rub all over to coat.
- Make the marinade. Deseed and finely chop the chilli, peel and grate the ginger and garlic then place them all in a medium pan along with the apple juice, white wine vinegar, tomato ketchup, mustard, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Whisk the ingredients together and place the pan over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Put the ribs in a large roasting pan, brush with the marinade and cover with foil.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until the meat pulls away from the bone easily. Baste the ribs with the marinade after 30 minutes. After 1 hour of cooking time remove the foil, baste and cook, uncovered, for the final 15 minutes, basting halfway through.
The BBQ bit
- Preheat your barbecue.
- Once your barbecue is hot, transfer the ribs to it. Cook over a medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the ribs to a board and cut them up. Serve with handfuls of rocket and watercress, if you like.